This MediaWiki software is the wiki engine software package that runs this WikiIndex wiki site. Originally designed for Wikipedia in 2003 (though not the original Wikipedia wiki engine – that was the Perl-based UseModWiki); MediaWiki is now used by the most active and largest wikis, it is also used extensively by other Wikimedia Foundation projects; along with many, many other independent wikis.
MediaWiki, written in PHP, is probably the most widely deployed wiki engine software. Some would argue that a wiki should be more simplistic, with fewer features; but MediaWikis' design avoids many of the clutter/feature–creep problems which can appear in other mature wiki engines, and its success speaks for itself. MediaWiki has spawned many clones, the most notable being Wikia. MediaWiki is a highly developed, feature-rich software that is released for free under version 2 of the GNU General Public License (GNU GPL v2), and requires either MySQL 5.0.2+, PostgreSQL, or SQLite for data storage.
- MediaWiki size information
- add /Special:Statistics at the end of the URL – eg.
http://YourWikiURL.org/Special:Statistics(non-English language versions will automatically convert this to actual language). Dependent on software version, there is a number called "Content pages" or sometimes "pages that are probably legitimate content pages" -- use that lower number. Ignore the (often much larger) "all pages in the wiki, including redirects" number. We can also add MediaWiki listings to the http://s23.org/wikistats/mediawikis_html.php system which tracks various wiki statistics.
- MediaWiki wikiFactor information
- go to the /Special:PopularPages page of the wiki –
- See also
- Category:MediaWiki wiki farms
- MediaWikiOrg Twitter feed — (rather dormant and inactive!)
- MediaWikiOrg Facebook page
- MediaWiki Developers Facebook group
- List of top 100 private MediaWikis — from WikiStats by S23.org
- Help:Contents — from MediaWiki.org
The Wikimedia Foundation (WMF), founded 20 June 2003, is the non-profit organization responsible for a very large number (over 900 in total) of very active wikis, grouped together and known as 'projects'; as well as the wiki engine software initially developed by themselves, known as MediaWiki. The Foundations' major wiki projects include Wikipedia (encyclopedias), Wiktionary (dictionary and thesaurus), Wikiquote (quotations), Wikibooks (open content textbooks), Wikisource (free content primary and secondary source texts), Wikinews (news source), Wikiversity (open learning community), Wikispecies (free species directory), and many others as listed below. Most of these projects have separate wiki versions written in many different languages. There is also the Wikimedia Commons (shared repository for images, videos and other media files), Wikidata (central space knowledge base for data used on all WMF projects), and the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki (coordination of issues common to all Wikimedia projects). The Foundations' global reach is nurtured in its Incubator, where all new language versions for all projects are initiated and developed before being rolled out. Its most recent major project, Wikivoyage (a 'travelpedia'), was inducted to WMF in late 2012.
Wikipedia • Wiktionary • Wikiquote • Wikibooks • Wikisource • Wikinews • Wikiversity • Wikispecies • MediaWiki • Wikidata • Commons • Wikivoyage • Meta-Wiki • Incubator • Labs • Chapters • Wikimania • Outreach • Toolserver • Statistics • Wikitech • Phabricator • Downloads • Blog • Shop • Donate • Login
- Wikimedia Foundation private and management wikis
Board • BoardGovCom • Office • Executive • Internal • Affiliations Committee • OTRS • Collab • Movement Roles • Audit Committee • Search Committee • Advisory Board • Quality • Usability Initiative • Strategic Planning • SP-Com
- Wikimedia.org — portal to all of the major WMF projects
- WikimediaFoundation.org — public WMF wiki
- Complete list of Wikimedia projects — at Wikimedia Meta-Wiki
- List of Wikimedia projects by size (sortable) — at Wikimedia Meta-Wiki
- SiteMatrix table of all Wikimedia wikis — listed by language, project, interproject link, and interwiki, at Wikimedia Meta-Wiki, along with list of all private and management wiki
- Toolserver:Wiki server assignments — formerly at Wikimedia Toolserver, now at MediaWiki.org
- Current status Wikimedia Foundation - Core services — public website health status for Wikimedia Foundation, at status.Wikimedia.org
- Wikistats: Wikimedia Statistics — comprehensive statistics by project – stats.Wikimedia.org at Wikimedia Statistics
- Database dump progress — list of live database dumps at Wikimedia Downloads
- Wikimedia Interactive Statistics[dead link] — from Wikistatistics.net – archived spapshot from archive.is
- Special Wikimedia Projects by size — sortable list from WikiStats by S23.org (last updated 11 September 2011, but still useful information)
- plain-text database list — at noc.Wikimedia.org
- Wikimedia Grid Report — multiple detailed performance graphs from ganglia.Wikimedia.org
- Phabricator — formerly Bugzilla.Wikimedia.org, now phabricator.Wikimedia.org, for bug reporting and software development
- Public Mailing Lists — at lists.Wikimedia.org
- Wikimedia.org site info — from Alexa.com
|Table of contents:||Top – 0–9 • A • B • C • D • E • F • G • H • I • J • K • L • M • N • O • P • Q • R • S • T • U • V • W • X • Y • Z|
This category has the following 30 subcategories, out of 30 total.
Pages in category “MediaWiki”
The following 200 pages are in this category, out of 5,564 total.(previous 200) (next 200)