Category talk:Active administrators of this wiki
To me it looks like the Help (en) link in the navigation bar left is linked to mediawiki help pages and such our own english help pages are seemingly not available. Manorainjan 08:33, 2 February 2016 (PST)
- Appreciate you pointing that out, fixed. ~~ MarkDilley
wF asking from others what we do not provide ourselves?
Since the server move and including update of the software we do not provide the popular-pages function any more, needed to determine the wikiFactor. This functionality is not any more included in the general MediaWiki software. One needs to install it a add-on. But we do not have this add-on. That looks quite inconsistent to me. --Manorainjan 16:22, 19 April 2016 (PDT)
- Can you provide a link to the add-on? Then we can ask Brandon to install it. ~~ MarkDilley (21 April 2016)
User:Thedugganaut had informed us about the exclusion of this functionality on 26 May 2015, a day after it happened. A month later Extension:HitCounters became available. I left the info here: Talk:WikiFactor#New versions of WikiMedia no longer have popular pages page --Manorainjan 09:08, 18 August 2016 (PDT)
Merging of articles
- Took first step. ~~ MarkDilley
Seems he is dead. No reaction, even on direct email since one year. --Manorainjan 04:49, 22 August 2016 (PDT)
So, nobody knows his whereabouts? Manorainjan 03:54, 15 September 2016 (PDT)
Verification of new accounts
In the light of such announcements: ** WARNING !!! I AM CURRENTLY BEING IMPERSONATED BY SEVERAL SCAMMERS !!! ** one should check the validity of new accounts like User:DSwissK.
Currently there seems do be no procedure of verification whatsoever.
How You want to deal with that? --Manorainjan 03:01, 18 October 2016 (PDT)
- I verified this account by emailing them from one of their wiki accounts elsewhere. This method is probably not perfect. I don't see verification of accounts to be an issue here. MarkDilley
Mark, please be precise! Do not say "elsewhere". What account did You take? Manorainjan 06:54, 18 October 2016 (PDT)
Please protect that wiki page, not the talk page, in order to protect it against erosion of this information. --Manorainjan 12:19, 11 December 2016 (PST)
- Manorainjan is inserting and maintaining false information. The website is neither active and no longer a wiki. To suggest otherwise is a lie. His edit summaries are also false. To restore the article to it's long held status is not vandalism. Someone should pull up Manorainjan on his misleading and nonsensical edit summaries both here and his other edits. Databoy (talk) 12:37, 11 December 2016 (PST)
- Removal I'm not sure why you are removing things like Category:FoundedIn2010. We don't just keep info that is presently true but we try to make an overview of the history of the WikiSphere as well. It's fine to provide links to archived wikis or have categories on pages for wikis which are no longer live. If you know about how and why the site went down, then add it to the article. Koavf (talk) 13:39, 11 December 2016 (PST)
Suspect mail configuration with mandrillapp.com
I'm getting phishing warnings from my security software. The notification mails from WikiIndex are stragenly configured. The visible linktext in the mail is like
but behind this is hidden the link:
This is a technique normally used by scammers. Why do we have this in the mails and since when and who introduced that and for whos benefit? --Manorainjan 12:50, 8 May 2017 (PDT)
How to deal with Open proxys and anonymous IPs?
- How to deal with wp:Open proxys and anonymous IPs?
I suggest to block all IP ranges of any known open proxies. Again, here we can learn from Wikipedia. We could save us a lot of hassle. Remember, that my "success" in totally enervating Dave Voorhis was mainly based on the use of few open proxies and a script kid tool. ;-) --Manorainjan 03:49, 3 June 2017 (PDT)
- Generating a list of all IP addresses from open proxies would be difficult--do you have such a list that already exists? Koavf (talk) 09:15, 3 June 2017 (PDT)
- Regardless of the number of IPs in question, my opinion is, to block open proxies preemptively is in the long run, safer and less work, than dealing with destructive elements one by one. On the other hand I regard it as necessary to be absolutely transparent about which IPs are blocked here. The list of blocked IPs should be available to everyone and also the sources of the list should be named. Ideally it should be an automated function. I see two possibilities:
- 1 To get the IPs from a knowledgeable service en block.
- 2 To automatically test any IP - that would like to edit here or open an account - regarding open proxies and block it right away if it is an open proxy. Not without an error message telling that any kind of editing by use of open proxies is not permitted.
- I did not mean to create a lot of manual work for You. Regardless of the possible implications I wanted to bring up the topic of open proxies to all the admins. I do not know, why You are the only one who responds. All the other admins should also be concerned with spam fighting and security issues. Maybe You check with Your "fellow" admins if at all they are regularly reading this board? And it is in no way whatsoever, that any of the admins should help me. I'm not responsible for spam fighting and security issues, IP blocking or anything here at all. It is me who helps You admins by raising consciousness to the issue of open proxies. --Manorainjan 14:14, 3 June 2017 (PDT)
Special:Contributions/220.127.116.11 also at https://tools.wmflabs.org/meta/stalktoy/18.104.22.168 is just another example of what I'm talking about. --Manorainjan 06:35, 24 June 2017 (PDT)
Inactivity of administrators
Hello. What Manorainjan said above made me think that there are many inactive admins on this wiki and I just wanted to tell you who they are. This is just a suggestion, you decide if they have to be demoted or not. :-) The majority of them last edited in 2015 (which means two years of inactivity).
- In the light of progressive thinking, one should not think of demotion but find out, why there is no activity. Every person will most likely have their own, their individual reasons for that. On the base of that information there could be the possibility of a reactivation. To demote admins does not increase admin-activity. And to leave the admin status on an inactive user does not incur any kind of cost. Manorainjan 03:09, 4 June 2017 (PDT)
- [message removed]
- Sure. And next we give Rock-O-Jello and Amanda backend access. Hahahah, what a crazy joke :-D
- That was a bit to easy to find out from which crew You are ;-)
- Open another account and try again! --Manorainjan 07:10, 4 June 2017 (PDT)
- [message removed]
- It is getting funnier by the hour ;-) While I hint You might be part of a crew, which is certainly no insult, unless You think that the other members of that crew are real lowlifes with whom You do not want to be associated in any way. On the other hand You call me mentally ill specifying this as wp:Persecutory delusion. Obviously I've hit the mark here ;-) --Manorainjan 09:31, 4 June 2017 (PDT)
- [message removed]
Disruptive behavior towards Miraheze by Amanda
Hello. I am requesting action taken (warning/interaction ban/block) about User:Amanda. They were banned by the Miraheze community for disrupting the project. They were given many chances, but failed by using sockpuppets. Since they are banned, they continuously spam our channels as well as other test wiki channels, and wikis. Now they have come here to disrupt the Miraheze page, as well as my own userpage which I find unacceptable. Reception123 (talk) 21:54, 8 August 2017 (PDT)